You’ll never see a summer camp like this! Summer Camp Island was released in 2018, and it is one of the most entertaining cartoons these days. Now, here’s some facts that you might not know about it!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is it about?
- Show Facts
- Character Facts
- Creator Facts
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
Summer Camp Island is an American animated series from Cartoon Network Studios. The show is set on a magical sleep-away camp where best friends Oscar and Hedgehog navigate the island and learn new skills. It features witches as camp counselors, unicorns, and monsters under the bed. The Camp is where things and animals could talk and where anything could happen.
- According to Summer Camp Island Fandom Wiki, the show was first announced in January of 2017. Before being pitched to Cartoon Network, the short pilot was first shopped around various animated film festivals, including Sundance.
- On the 7th of July 2018, the series premiered on television after three years of plot and character creation.
- Currently, it has four seasons. Season 2 aired two years after the first season, on the 18th of June 2020, while Season 3 was released shortly after on the 10th of December. In addition, the latest season was released this year on the 17th of June.
- Its first release on television was an uninterrupted 48-hour marathon showing all the episodes of the entire first season. It was shown simultaneously on Cartoon Network and Boomerang.
- After its marathon release, 20 episodes were created that were set to release in the latter part of 2018. However, the airing date was delayed until 2019.
- Summer Camp Island was nominated for a GLAAD Award for Outstanding Children’s Programming and in the Daytime Emmy as Outstanding Voice Directing for an Animated Series.
- During the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con, Julia Pott announced that the series had been renewed for a Season 2. It premiered exclusively on HBO Max instead of Cartoon Network.
- The season 5 of the show is already in the works and was announced to be released later this year.
- The series’ theme song was composed by Seo Kim, a storyboard artist on Adventure Time, John Enroth, who composes music for The Simpsons; Albert Fox, who worked for Lego Scooby-Doo and Mark Mothersbaugh. Mothersbaugh is known for creating iconic music, including Hotel Transylvania, The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and more!
- Oscar, Hedgehog, and Max first made their appearance on Julia Pott’s independent shorts as incarnations of Belly and The Event, which she made when she was a student.
- The Camp has its in-house therapist, Dr. P. Shark, voiced by Judd Hirsch in the pilot and Richard Kind for the series. The doctor lives in the pool near Oscar’s cabin but can survive even out of the water.
- Alice’s surname is Fefferman.
- She is a witch and Summer Camp Island’s camp counselor.
- She was voiced by Charlyne Yi, who also voiced Nancy in the series.
- She is the second most evil witch and, at the same time, the second kindest, according to Oscar.
- She is not good at math.
- She is innately magical and is deemed the strongest witch.
- Betsy Spellman is also a witch and counselor like Alice and Susie, but she is the least powerful.
- She is the youngest and most likable among the three witches.
- Ghost the Boy is her ex-boyfriend.
- She was voiced by Nikki Castillo, who voiced another recently released cartoon, Trese.
- Hedgehog is very talented at playing softball.
- Ashley Boettcher first voiced her before being changed to the current voice actor, Oona Laurence.
- Her best friend is Oscar, while Max is her crush. She is also roommates with the Monster Under the Bed.
- Her first mentor is Betsy, who teaches her magic, but her current is Susie as of Meeting of the Minds.
- Max was voiced by Thomas Vaethroeder for the pilot episode and then replaced by Ramone Hamilton for the series.
- He knows how to knit and likes watching foreign movies, which is super cool of him.
- It was never established when Max’s birthday was.
- He was never seen playing an instrument and was the only one who didn’t participate in the talent show.
- He’s one of the three campers who have older siblings. The other two are Hedgehog and Lem.
- Oscar Peltzer had the most voice actor change. Justin Felbinger, in the pilot episode, first voiced him, followed by Elliott Smith for the whole 40 episodes of Season 1, then next by Asher Bishop for Season 1 Episode 39 until the last episode of Season 2. In Season 3, Antonio Raul Corbo took over the role and is still Oscar’s voice actor in the present.
- According to a tweet by the creator in 2018, it was confirmed that Oscar is 11 years old, and he has the same age as Hedgehog but was born five months ahead of her.
- He loves pancakes but is lactose intolerant.
- Oscar has many talents, including playing basketball, and he has over 100 camp badges. However, winking is not one of them since he can only do it using his right eye.
- He is the only camper with a swimming pool behind his cabin.
- He has a talking, sentient pair of Pajamas, voiced by Anna Strupinsky.
- Sussie McCallister is the head counselor of Summer Camp Island, and her hometown was in Brooklyn, New York.
- The creator herself, Julia Pott, voiced Susie.
- She was estimated to be 400 years old but is physically 15 years old. In addition, she throws herself a 15th birthday celebration each year.
- Her lodging is the only cabin with installed air conditioning.
- Among the witches, she was deemed the meanest, and she loves teasing the campers.
- Alexa’s full name is Alexa Mongello.
- She is the older sister of Lem, who is only five years old.
- She is voiced by actress Alexa Nisenson who is part of the TV series The Walking Dead.
- She is 12 years old and the oldest camper on the island.
- Alexa is a giraffe, and her height is close to that of Hedgehog, Max, and Oscar.
- He is voiced by the 14-year-old Sam Lavagnino, who also voiced Pepper Corn until Season 3.
- He is the only alien who wears a crown instead of a headband.
- He is a friendly and compassionate ruler.
- He made his speaking debut in the episode Monster Babies.
- The standup comedian and actor, Mike Birbiglia, voiced him. Birbiglia was also known for acting in Orange is the New Black, and for writing and directing Sleepwalk with Me.
- Lucy Thompson, who Indie Nameth voiced, lives in Manhattan.
- She is a very independent person and has a crush on Oscar.
- She is outstanding in math and calculus, and her talent is doing standup comedy.
- Pepper Corn is nine years old, the same age as Lucy.
- He was voiced by Sam Lavagnino and, later on, by Julian Edwards who starred in Bird Box.
- His hobbies include sleeping, and he carries a security blanket every time.
- Pepper’s power is to summon clouds, and his talent is ventriloquism.
- Summer Camp Island was created by Julia Pott, who was a staff writer for Adventure Time.
- She created the second-ever Cartoon Network original series, which a woman exclusively developed. The first one was Steven Universe, which Rebecca Sugar created.
- According to Pott’s IMDb page, she has four writing credits, seven acting roles, and five directorial works under her name.
- Aside from being a writer and producer, she is also a voice actress. She voiced Emily in the World of Tomorrow, Lauren in the Disconnected TV series, and Susiein Summer Island Camp.
- Julia Pott has directed five shows. She made her directorial debut for My First Crush back in 2007, followed by Here Come the Waves: The Hazards of Love Visualized, Belly, The Event, and Summer Camp Island.
- She is also an animator and started assisting My Mother’s Coat before being the main animator for Belly and The Event.
- She loves interacting with Summer Camp Island fans and occasionally replies to tweets and questions about the characters.
Contact us for more information.